1. What we really wanted was a single-payer system, anyway.
2. Even if you preferred the mandate to single-payer, the bill that got passed was rushed and pretty sloppy because of it.
3. It makes it harder for Republicans to privatize social security. They won’t be able to force you to put money into a private savings account. It also makes it harder for Republicans to do crazy Republican things, like forcing every man and woman to own a gun.
4. Republicans will be less likely to show up to vote in November. Obamacare is a rallying cry, and if it’s no longer an issue and Mitt Romney is the nominee, there’s no reason for Tea Partiers to get out of bed that day. Unless, of course, there’s a Matlock marathon on TBS. James Carville agrees that this helps Obama.
5. The Court will probably leave the “no discriminating against pre-existing conditions” part untouched. We’ll just have to find another way to pay for it.
6. An encroachment on liberty is an encroachment on liberty, even if it is for the common good.